The Intramural Open 2017
The CrossFit Open is the beginning of the Games season. It is entirely online, lasts 5 weeks, and helps find the fittest in the world.
What the heck does that have to do with any of you? Well, anyone and everyone can compete in the open. Each week, a workout is released complete with scales that are beginner friendly (an entire scaled division) and age appropriate (for masters and teen divisions). There are TONS of reasons why you should participate (click here to read Karl’s reasons to participate). In addition to all of that, we will be creating our own intramural teams to compete. There will be 5 teams, each captained by a member of our community.
$20 registration fee on the CrossFit Games site
Coaches and members will be ‘drafted’ onto an Intramural team from the list of humans signed up on the CrossFit NapTown team by the weekend of February 18th and 19th. Once the draft is up, we will publish the teams to the community bulletin. After the draft, captains will have the opportunity to recruit other members who have not yet signed up for the Open to their teams (team size will be determined by the number of people who sign up for the Open). We will be limiting the number of recruits this year to keep teams more even, this will be more thoroughly explained to the captains at the draft.
- 1 to 5 Points – Team Name: The organizers of the intramural open (i.e. our staff) will be deciding on our favorite team names and each team will be given points for their rank on our list. (1 point for worst name, 5 points for best name).
- 1 Point – Judging: any athlete who takes the judges course will be earn a point for his or her team. Throughout the Open, athletes can earn points by judging (or assisting with weight changes if a workout calls for that) outside of class times. You will earn 1 point for playing this part outside of class 1 to 3 times, and 2 points for judging outside of class more than 4 or more times.
- 1 Point – Attendance: every member of a team that completes an Open workout each week earns one point. Maximum one point per athlete per workout (i.e. you do not get bonus points for redoozies)
- 2 to 10 Points – Top 5: The male and female members who place among the top 5 on the CFNT team for each workout will earn points for his or her team (10 points for 1st, 8 points for 2nd, and 6 point for 3rd, 4 points for 4th, and 2 points for 5th). The top 5 athletes in both the scaled and rx’ed divisions will earn points for their team.
- 5 Points (team) – Spirit: The team with the most noise, pride, and PRESENCE each week will receive 5 bonus points.
- 8 Points (team) – Team Bonding: If your team gets together socially outside of the gym (75%+ of you – pic posted on our FB page as proof)…you get points. This is a one time bonus, you can do it as many times as you like but it will only earn you points once. It can be done at any point during the 5 weeks.
- 10 Points – 6th WOD winner: We will be announcing our own special 17.6 workout for all teams to take part in either March 25th or April 1st. It will be fun and fabulous and the winning team gets 10 points.
Bragging rights and a fabulously decorated weight lifting belt (plus other cool things).
How to do Open Workouts:
We will be doing the Open workouts during classes on Fridays. Anyone who cannot make it to class on Friday is welcome to do it on Sunday at Open Gym or under very special circumstances on Monday if needed. We will be hosting a Friday night lights event for the final week of the open followed by a mad after party!
NOTE: pending the workout, we may offer additional times to get the Open workout in.